Skipping breakfast is a common way to save time and decrease the total number of calories eaten during the day. While saving a few minutes may or may not be worth it, those who are trying to lose weight may find that skipping breakfast has unintended consequences.
Research has found the following among those who skip breakfast:
- A decreased likelihood of meeting their daily requirements of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.
- A greater tendency to be overweight.
- A decreased ability to concentrate and remember things during the early hours of work and school.
- Lower energy earlier in the day.
- A tendency to eat more and more unhealthy, snacks throughout the day.
So far, researchers haven’t been able to determine if skipping breakfast causes health issues, or if people who eat breakfast simply tend to live a healthier lifestyle. Given the connections mentioned above, however, it seems that grandmother may have been right after all. Maybe breakfast is the most important meal of the day.