Household Poisons 

Household Poisons 

  • Household cleaners

Have you ever wondered if some of the common substances you have around the house might be poisonous to children? Here are a few things you might not suspect:  

  • An overdose of dietary melatonin supplement can actually be fatal for children.  
  • Less than a fifth of a teaspoon of eye drops or decongestant nasal sprays can do serious damage to children. Both substances can prove fatal.  
  • Eating cigarette butts may sound disgusting, but this happens with surprising regularity among babies who have access to them. While serious poisoning by cigarette butts is rare, it is possible. 
  • You might not suspect your air freshener, and not all of them pose serious risks. Evaporating beads and reed diffuser solutions, however, can be seriously toxic to children.  
  • Nail polish remover can be fatal to children who drink it.  
  • Many household cleaning solutions are poisonous.  

There are too many household poisons to name, and more than most people can remember. If you have any doubts about something your child has been exposed to, call Poison Control. In fact, it’s a good idea to keep their number in your phone and on your refrigerator in case of emergency.  

National Toll-Free Poison Emergency: 1-800-222-1222 

RMH Pediatrics: 765-932-7000